Spring to Spring Backpacking Trip, Ocala National Forest, April 26-28, 2013
Join for an exciting backpacking trip along the Florida National Scenic Trail when plants bloom in the spring. We are hiking 26.5 miles from Clearwater Lake north to Juniper Springs, over the course of 3 days.
This route will take over hilly sandy terrain, and the spring heat (see average temperatures Altoona, Florida) may make our travel more difficult. participants are expected to be in excellent physical condition.
What to expect
- A challenging trip
- Campcraft skill and naturalist discussion
- Delicious food prepared by the staff
- Respect and camaraderie by the staff
- Opportunities to swim at Alexander and Juniper Springs
- Wrap up cook out at Juniper Springs
- Just a whole lot of fun
When and itinerary:
- Thursday, April 25, 2013. Optional Camping at Clearwater Lake Campground. For folks driving long distances, we suggest camping at the Clearwater Lake Campground.
- Friday April 26, 2013. Meet at Clearwater Lake Campground, 7 AM packed and ready to shuttle cars. Hike approximately 10 miles to Alexander Springs National Recreation Area to swim. Get back on the trail and camp.
- Saturday April 27, 2013 Hike 8-10 miles to and camp. Campsite undetermined at this writing.
- Sunday April 28, 2013. Complete hike. Wrap up BBQ and swim at Juniper Springs. Depart at sunset.
Cost: Fees include food (6 meals,) parking fees, day use fees, and Sierra Club donation. Fees are $100 members and $120 non members. A complete breakdown of fees will be sent later. Participants must send in fees to reserve their spot, 50% of fees are non refundable. Fees can be sent to Andy Quinn, 215 E.Bay St., Suite 5, Lakeland, FL 33801, Write the check to Andy Quinn or Ancient Islands Sierra Club.